Last week, I made the all-call: where do YOU go to free and cheap yoga classes? I got a tremendous outpouring of ideas and am glad to compile them all here for you! I hope you find a new cool place to roll out your mat and soak in the seva (yoga as a service).
I chose to list only single classes and drop-ins here. I understand that many yoga studios have terrific ongoing “deals,” like a very discounted first week, or class packages that are the cheapest in town, etc. but I didn’t want this to turn this into a yoga comparison shopping page. I hope you understand 🙂
With that said, if you have any additions or edits, please contact me, or list them in the comment section below!
I would also like to address something a couple of concerned yogis brought up to me: cheap and free isn’t always good.
I hear you.
I certainly am not advocating that every studio and yoga-related business drop everything and start offering cheap and free classes. Teachers and studios are in business for themselves and need to pay the bills. I’m happy to help pay the bills of my yoga teachers, because they offer me a valuable service that improves my life. I hope everyone feels this way.
But there are plenty of good reasons why studios, teachers and businesses do offer complimentary, free, cheap, donation-based, pay-what-you-can, etc. classes. Kashi offers $5 classes taught by their teachers-in-training to give some real-world experience. Active Sol gives proceeds from their Friday Night Vibe class to charities. Lululemon and Atlanta Activewear offer free classes because their clients and customers form a wellness community that extends way beyond business, and bringing people in store for free yoga is a fun way to reach out and foster that community. Nirvana Yoga and Jai Shanti vow to never turn away a student because of price.
I hope I show that these are waaaaayyy more than just “free and cheap” classes, but ways for yoga studios to serve in a unique way.
So I want to address the concerned yogis when I say that I don’t believe that free is better, or that everyone should fill a week’s schedule with free classes. But when a person really just can’t afford a consistent yoga practice, or just wants to try something new, or meet a teacher they’ve admired, or benefit a community organization–a free or cheap class is a welcome opportunity.
And now that I’ve said my piece on that, I’ll say MANY THANKS to the people who do offer these classes! They give us all an opportunity to learn from each other without breaking the bank!
- Monday-Friday, 12:00-1:00 PM Nirvana Yoga community class, $5.00
- Monday-Friday, 6:00 AM Hot and Power classes, Red Hot Yoga $9.00 drop in
- Monday-Friday, various times, Yoga for Everybody, Jai Shanti $10 suggested donation
- Monday-Thursday, various times, Gentle Yoga at Zen Tea in Chamblee, $10
Weekly and monthly classes:
- Monday 12:00 PM, Decatur Healing Arts, $5
- Monday 7:00 PM Power Yoga, Active Sol Yoga community class, $7.
- Tuesday, 6:00 PM Pranalisa with Atlanta Yoga Club, “Stretch, Release, Restore” $5.00-7.00. Little Five Points area, check www.pranalisa.com.
- Tuesday, 4:30 PM, Classical Yoga Teachers-in-Training class, Kashi Urban Yoga Ashram, $5.00
- Tuesday, 5:30 PM, Intro class, Peachtree Yoga Center, Free
- Tuesday 6:00-7:00 PM Gentle Yoga, Lisa Cohen (Pranalisa), Decatur $7
- Wednesday, 10:00 AM, Dharma I/II class, Ember Yoga, donation suggested.
- 2nd Wednesday of every month, 11:15 AM, Colony Athletic Club, Free.
- Friday 6:30 AM, the dock at Piedmont Park, $5.00. Email Colette Evers [email protected] to register
- Friday 12:00 PM, Decatur Healing Arts, $5
- Friday, 4:30 PM, Classical Yoga Teachers-in-Training class, Kashi Urban Yoga Ashram, $5:00
- Friday, 5:30 PM, Ancient of Days Center, Newnan, GA, Free
- Friday, 5:30-6:30 PM Hatha UpFlow at American Top Team (Midtown), $10 suggested donation
- One Friday per month, 7:00-9:00 PM, Friday Night Vibe, Active Sol Yoga, donation suggested
- Saturday 9:00 AM, Atlanta Activewear (Virginia Highlands)
- Saturday 9:00 AM Pranalisa with Atlanta Yoga Club, $5.00-7.00, Little Five Points area, check www.pranalisa.com for location
- Most Saturdays 10:00-11:30 AM, Yoga and Tantra meditation, Yoga of India, $2 RSVP: http://www.meetup.com/yoga-468/
- Saturday 11:00 AM, Q class, Nirvana Yoga, $5.00
- Saturday, 12:30 PM, “For the People,” Red Hot Yoga in Miami Circle, donation-based.
- Saturday, 4:00 PM, Hot Sequence, Ember Yoga, donation suggested.
- Sunday, 11:00 AM, yoga and meditation at the Riverdale Hindu Temple, Free
- Sunday 11:30 AM, Vinyasa Flow, Active Sol Yoga community class, $7
- Sunday, 12:00 PM, Lululemon Athletica, Marietta Square, Glover Park, Free
- Sunday, 4:30 PM, Classical Yoga Teachers-in-Training class, Kashi Urban Yoga Ashram $5.00
- Every other Sunday, 4:00 PM, Be Yoga, Marietta Square. Donation suggested.
- 3rd Sunday of every month, Ananda Bhav, Free